[thelist] PHP send email with images *embedded*

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Jun 14 11:29:49 CDT 2006

> From: Jonathan Issler
> I was just reading through your posts about trying to embed images and
> was wondering what you did to solve the problem. I am having the same
> problem and have the file attached "inline" but have thus far not been
> able to access it. Any help you could provide would be greatly
> appreciated.

Are you rolling your own, or using a prefab class?  I recommend PHP
Mailer[0] myself, and there's also PEAR::Mail_Mime[1] among others that
Google would be happy to help you find.  I've been using PHP Mailer to send
messages with embedded images[2] for years without a hitch, though bear in
mind that each image increases the email's bandwidth weight hugely, so
generally it should not be used for anything in bulk.  And to echo Bill,
*do* make use of the text-only alternative too.

[0] http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/
[1] http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.mail.mail-mime.php
[2]
http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/docs/PHPMailer/PHPMailer.html#AddEmbeddedIm