[thelist] flash list like this (is: Bangkok site)

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Thu Jun 15 15:34:14 CDT 2006

For what it's worth, I did read your description last week, but I wasn't
sure of the core issue... seemed like the general situation was "What
types of HTML elements can influence whether various browsers reclaim
the cursor after rolling off an EMBED object?", and I didn't have the
time then to go through your client's HTML to see how it differed from
yours, and I wasn't sure from the text whether it was a some-but-not-all
browser issue as well.

I didn't know that I'd be sent to a site about user stories from
Thailand, I hope my employers are not monitoring my computer today.... ;-)

In current Firefox/Win I not only don't see a cursor change over their
SWF, I can't click through to the link either. I've just been running
through that document with Firefox's Web Developer toolbar trying to get
a quick idea of its construction, but its "Display Element Information"
overlay seems to be having trouble with a TABLE of that length.

... whoa, I think I may see it, surrounding your friend's OBJECT/EMBED
tags they've put an ANCHOR tag. This is strange, because the OBJECT tag
doesn't take such an external link as a chunk of text would. If they
remove that, then does the problem go away?

If that's not the key difference between their document and yours, then
the usual path is to simplify the misbehaving content one layer at a
time until it acts normally again. I'd offer to do it, but I can't right
now.

(By the way, on mailing lists in general, the chances of a useful reply
are increased if there's an answerable "how" or "what" question on
something *other* people can make themselves... the "why" or "why not"
questions on something big they haven't made don't tend to pull as well,
I've found.)

for testing. The SWF is the same, the browser the same, but its
environment is what differs.....

jd