[thelist] unsolicited addition to web directory

Brian Funk brian at slws.ca
Fri Jun 16 01:36:24 CDT 2006

I run a small website for a family member's bed and breakfast operation.

Two days ago I received an email from a b&b directory site informing me
that they had us listed on their site. I had a look to discover that
they had grabbed pictures and text from our site and put them on their
own site which we had never asked them to and they had never asked us.

At first I thought, "hey! free exposure, how nice", but upon looking a
little closer, they have some mistakes and some mis-representation that
is not so good. After much googling and a couple whois searches...they
didn't make themselves easy to contact... I submitted one of their
"trouble tickets" to ask by what authority they had done this. (knowing
that if they hadn't gone through me they had none, but just trying to
open communication..) Well, 24 hours later and no response.

So now I'm getting a little steamed and just want off their site.

I'm new to this ( I just have an interest in code and seeing what I can
get to break successfully in all browsers) ;-) I wonder if the more
experienced than I would mind sharing a little wisdom and insight into
this so I don't go off half-cocked and shoot myself instead of the enemy.

 From what I have been able to gather the site creators were [ URL removed ]
and the site in question is [ URL removed ]...

Anyone have any dealings with them? good or bad?

Thanks so much,

--
brian