[thelist] While We Are on the Topic of SEO

dwain.alford at gmail.com dwain.alford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 04:32:28 CDT 2006

Asif Suria wrote:
> I figured I would throw in a SEO question as well. So
> here goes, "Is the duplicate content penalty a myth or
> a fact?"
>
> The reason I ask? I launched a website called
> SINLetter.com in October 2005 and after a few fleeting
> moments in the sun, I was banished into the Google
> sandbox, emerged for a little while and was Google
> bowled short thereafter. I blogged about this here
> http://www.sinletter.com/blogComment.aspx?id=16
>
> This was not very worrying as I still kept getting
> traffic from google for other non-competitive search
> terms like "Chipotle investment" and "wipro split".
> All this time I had a high ranking on both MSN and
> Yahoo search. I even started ranking number 1 for the
> highly competitive search term "investment newsletter"
> on MSN search (I wonder for how much longer) and
> number 3 on Yahoo search.
>
> However about two weeks ago, my website fell off the
> face of this earth (er, Google search results). Even
> non-competitive terms like "tata motors investment" or
> "chipotle investment" would no longer bring up my
> website on Google. The only traffic I would get from
> Google was from people actually searching for
> SINLetter or some other obscure search term.
>
> The only change that I know of that occurred around
> that time was that two financial websites started
> carrying my content. I asked one of them to stop
> carrying my content and it seems to be helping a
> little. However the webmaster of that website tried
> telling me that the duplicate content penalty was a
> myth and pointed to the case of Reuters and the
> Associated Press often using the same content.
>
> I would be very interested in hearing from folks on
> this list who have any experience with this or have
> any knowledge about the duplicate content penalty. And
> just in case someone from Google is on this list,
> please take me out of the google sandbox, google
> bowling punishment rink and the duplicate content
> penalty box. Legitimate websites that have not
> participated in black hat SEO techniques do not
> deserve such a harsh sentence.
>
> Asif
if you spammed yourself out of existence, which sounds like what you may
have done, you may be able to redeem yourself with the google god, by
reformatting your keywords in the meta data and your content.  take the
course!  cricket gives some very good infomation that can help you stay
on the list.  try "artist kdd" as key words and see if http://studiokdd
doesn't come up #1.  i'm still working to get other key words active,
but it's a struggle.

best,
dwain