[thelist] While We Are on the Topic of SEO

Asif Suria asifsuria at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 14:09:20 CDT 2006

> > Keywords in meta data and content do make a big
> > difference and that is exactly what I have. I also
> > doubt, I spammed myself out of existence as I
> would
> > not have a very high ranking on MSN and Yahoo
> then. It
> > is something Google specific that is hard to lay a
> > finger on.
> >
> > Thanks for the seochat link Christian Heilmann, I
> will
> > repost my question there.
> >

> Well, I think that's debatable. From a recent
> article at SEOChat where they
> tested meta tags vs. no meta tags:
>
> "It seems honestly to make no difference whatsoever
> that a site may use meta
> tags, or not use them at all.  We DO see, however,
> that a huge number of
> meta keywords or stuffed keyword tags, or any other
> spam areas ARE being
> assessed and penalized."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/zq7q4

If the keywords meta tag helps make a difference on
MSN, I would retain it. Moreover the description meta
tag is used by search engines when they display your
link on the search results page. Even if it does not
make a difference as far as ranking is concerned, you
can at least define the first few words potential
visitors are likely to see.

I try to stay within the generally accepted maximum
limits for title (60 to 80 characters), keywords meta
tag (6 to 8 keywords?) and description meta tag (255
characters).

Asif
--
http://www.sinletter.com