[thelist] TIP: What I hate about MS SQL Management Studio...

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Wed Jun 21 17:10:52 CDT 2006

(Part 1 of an on-going series. ;-)

<tip author="Anthony Baratta" type="MS SQL 2005" subject="Studio Munges SQL Formating...">

I've migrated to MS SQL 2005 for cutting edge development and testing purposes. The up/down-side of that is having to up/down-grade to MS SQL Management Studio 2005, the replacement for SQL Enterprise Manager.

I won't get into the changes of the GUI or other gotchas, but one specific irritation is that Query Analyzer is now part of the main application and no longer a stand alone app. And to top it off, Management Studio loves to muck with your SQL - reformatting it into an unreadable mess.

That is until I found the trick to stop that from happening:

Instead of right mouse clicking and selecting modify or your UDF, View, or Stored Proceedure - right mouse click and select "Script <target type name> as.." :: "ALTER To.." :: "New Query Editor Window". This will open up the Query Analyzer wanna be and allow you to format your SQL to you liking. Saves from this window will retain their formatting.

That only took me three months to figure out.
</tip>

P.S. If anyone has figured out how to export SPs from SQL Management Studio so that each SP ends up in it's own file, please let me know. I'm currently mourning the loss of that feature from Enterprise Manager.