[thelist] IE and redirect to SSL

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 22 10:02:16 CDT 2006

On 22/06/06, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> $ GET -Sd http://infopeople.org:82/login
> GET http://infopeople.org:82/login --> 302 Found
> GET https://infopeople.org:1443/login --> 200 OK

You haven't said you've got a problem fetching the HTML, but the CSS,
JS and images.  What do these requests look like (when from IE)?
Sorry, I can't browse to non-standard Internet ports until I get home,
and the World Cup is on!

> I would hope 302 doesn't confuse IE.  The link probably should go
> directly to https, but I don't think it's related.  Being able to
> handle redirects is kind of a basic function for a web browser.

You'd have thought so, but redirecting to a different port and scheme
isn't exactly a run-of-the-mill redirect (but is allowed and should
work), it's plain to see from your problem that not every developer
has thought of everything.

I think it's more to do with the request headers you receive upon
redirection and what you use to construct the absolute URLs for images
in your response body.

Example: If a redirected request presents the https scheme, but
non-SSL portnumbers, the generated response body's URLs would read
https://infopeople.org:82/images/logo.gif (or whatever).  I have seen
this happen before, but not sure if it was IE specific, or a webserver
proxy configuration problem.

The easiest way to solve this is to not use absolute URLs!  Use URLs
relative to your domain root instead.  E.g. /images/logo.gif.  See if
you have problems then.

> And it drives me crazy using IE that I have to put in http:// when
> using a non-standard port.  Can't it assume if I leave off the scheme
> that I want http since I'm using a web browser?

Well, it probably thinks www.foobar.com is the scheme if you type
www.foobar.com:82, but I hate to do too much speculation in a single
email!

--