[thelist] IE and redirect to SSL

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jun 23 02:38:31 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:10:33PM +1000, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> However, Ethereal will be able to tell you the TCP port number(s) that the
> requests are going to. You can verify whether IE is connecting to 82 or 1443
> on the remote machine.

Yes, as I posted, the requests (after being redirected to the ssl
page) are sent port 82, not 1443 as expected.

> a) IE is more than a web-browser. From within your IExplore process you can
> connect via HTTP, FTP, Gopher, SMB/CIFS - lots of protocols

Of course.  Maybe I'm just too used to how firefox works.  As someone
that's running web servers on multiple ports it sure is handy not to
always type http:.  That's probably more likely than people running
multiple ftp servers.

> b) IE makes assumptions about all sorts of things (your HTML, MIME types) and
> people are up-in-arms. What would happen if IE assumed that you wanted to use
> HTTP when connecting to port 21? People would be up-in-arms about that too.
> You can't have it both ways.

I just want it the better way. ;)

> As mentioned - if you actually want to solve this issue, rather than just
> blaming IE/complaining about IE, then some steps have been
> proposed/information asked of you.

I'll take a look at IE Fiddler.  But isn't it just an http proxy?
Ethereal works fine for that.  Fiddler won't tell me anything more
than I have already posted if it's just a proxy.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org