[thelist] Site copied by pirates [not really]

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 03:06:53 CDT 2006

Mattias Thorslund wrote:

> But, picturing myself in your shoes, I would think it a bigger deal if
> the plagiarizing site had been a competing website, or a commercial site
> that were capitalizing on the software/design that was copied.  This
> fellow put up a dinky page that doesn't look terribly threatening. If he
> hadn't been so clumsy that he caused the troubles you're having with
> your web stats, it wouldn't have caused me much alarm.

nor me, and in fact I would never have known, nor cared, if they
hadn't been so clumsy.

If they'd asked for the CSS for the menu's or the rollovers they could
have had it - nicely commented and explained, in return for  a
thankyou and maybe an acknowledgement in the source on their site.

as it is I've a great deal of work to find a way round their
disturbance on my clients site...

> I guess we should go after everyone that sends unsolicited emails or
> leaves comment spam on our web sites, but all the bother just doesn't
> seem worth it, right?

Totally agree, I'm not about to sue or anything, I'm not that precious
over my code, it's just that I'm being inconvenienced by the site
owner's incompetence, and my time is worth money, which I'm now having
to spend without recompense.

;o)

--
Join me: http://wiki.workalone.co.uk/