[thelist] IE 5.2 on Mac

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 04:21:43 CDT 2006

On 6/20/06, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
>>Has anyone else decided not
> > to try to make their CSS sites work on IE5.2?  Can I justify this?

i always crank open ie 5.2 and make fixes where i can - usually only
spending at the very most an hour. If you have hacked for ie using
*html etc then you need to reset these values for ie 5.2 back to auto
- height:auto; floats need a width in ie 5.2. Some floats can be fixed
by using inline-block instead. As long as the site doesn't break then
as few misaligmnets are to be expected as it is an old browser.
Obvioulsy we are only talking CSS here and not JS etc.

some links
http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/float2misc/
http://stopdesign.com/examples/ie5mac-bpf/
http://www.macedition.com/cb/resources/macbrowsercsssupport.html

> Nope.  They were intranet style web apps whose primary users are print
> publishing compnay employees.  Sadly, much of that industry is still
> using the (now wayyy old, but still a legacy standard) Quark Publishing
> System which has never been updated for OS X, forcing its users to keep
> Mac OS 9 on their desktops which, even more sadly, doesn't run Firefox.

Quark does run on OSX and has done for a while
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/quarkxpress/