[thelist] .htaccess Help: Password protection

Gina Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Tue Jun 27 10:34:53 CDT 2006

Thanks Eduardo! I tried it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm sure I
have a syntax issue or something. Could you help a bit further? First,
here's the .htaccess file:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DirectoryIndex login.html

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
(More stuff here)
RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp)$ (a url here) [R,NC]

AuthType Basic

AuthName "Restricted Area"

AuthUserFile "/home/myusername/.htpasswds//passwd"

require valid-user

<Files "login.html">
    satisfy any
</Files>

Is something out of whack?  When I enter "http://www.mydomain.com", the
user/pass box comes up, instead of login.html.  If I sign in first with the
user/pass, and then enter the url, I am presented with "login.html' as
default. But the server still doesn't recognize that login.html doesn't need
protection.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much!
Gina