[thelist] Specific Ecommerce Requirements

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Tue Jun 27 13:29:33 CDT 2006

The subject of general ecommerce software has been discussed many times.
I myself am familiar with x-cart and zencart and I am now looking at the
eCommerce module of Drupal.

The situation is that a new store I am about to build has a few specific
requirements:

1 No payment processing necessary--just to take the credit card number
and alert the site admins that an order was placed--the reason being
that the shipping and other details need to be calculated manually
before the final price is arrived at.

2 Coupon or promotional code--to send a customer a discount code of some
sort and have that transmitted with his order. It need not actually
change the price--since the final price is done by hand anyway, we can
do the same with the discount.

3 Multiple option lists. For example, where we to be selling socks, we
need a dropdown to indicate size (S,M,L) and also color (brown, red, green).

4 Many products need multiple images, so we either need to make them
available on the page somehow (one idea mentioned was thumbnails with a
mouseover showing the larger image of that thumb). Mostly they're images
of the different options, so we could also reload the page (or just the
image) when they select a different option.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Hershel

--