[thelist] .htaccess Help: Password protection

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 20:06:18 CDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Gina Anderson wrote:
> Hi Eduardo :)
>
> Thank you so much for helping. It's working for me now, and yes your example
> helped me get it together for my use. The only thing that makes it go wrong
> is the following:
>
> >  And remember you must allow override to the DirectoryIndex (by adding
> >  the following 'Indexes' to the Directory directive):
> >  <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/teste">
> >       AllowOverride AuthConfig Indexes
> >  </Directory>
> I got a 500 error when I added this. I changed the server path to, I think,
> the correct one. The path to the Directory Index "login.html" is
> "/home/user/public_html" and that's what I replaced yours with.
>
> I don't know very much about the .htaccess document, enough to be dangerous
> and get myself into trouble. I may have a syntax problem with this as well,
> for me, this is like trying to write HTML when you don't know it. Am I just
> supposed to put that anywhere in the document, or does it have to be merged
> with the "DirectoryIndex login.html" somehow?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention. You must put that in your httpd.conf
file, replacing /var/www/htdocs/teste with the directory path of the
files you want to protect.
Is this a Linux or a Windows server?

That is needed only if you get an error when trying to access the URL
without the filename http://www.yourdomain.com/ , not
http://www.yourdomain.com/login.html (this should be okay).

> I'm sorry I'm an Apache Dummy :( lol I'd buy you a stiff drink if I could.
> You might need it after talking to me all day. ;)
>
> Gina

That's ok, I need to keep up my english anyway :P
And... sorry for the repost on thelist... I keep forgeting to use
"Reply to all". Just re-sent it to thelist for the record. You might
answer to thelist or directly to me as you wish now.

--
Eduardo  Bacchi Kienetz
LPI Certified - Level 2