[thelist] ASP.NET multiple forms question

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Fri Jul 14 08:55:22 CDT 2006

<snip>I can't imagine any situation in which you'd need or even want to
have multiple forms on a .NET page.  Doing so would lead to non-standard
coding practices, which lead to reduced marketability.</snip>

I can't necessarily side on the marketability point, but I'm currently
in a situation making some changes to our intranet that has 3 forms on
one page. The first of which is to edit the employee information
(username, sales region, etc.), the second is to list all the shoppers
for this sales rep and the filtering that list therein. The third, which
I'm in the process right now, is having the ability to modify sales
quotas and commission rates for any given month, quarter, or year.

I chose the one page approach simply because I had white space to use
and didn't want to overcomplicate the GUI with multiple pages. The
obvious way to think about this in .NET when we ultimately go there is
to redesign this through separated areas, each with it's own page. Not
really an issue to fuss over.

However, I see your point about multiple forms on one page. I ran into
this in our testing environment. In a Classic ASP format, what do we do
about this page in .NET:
http://www.lexjet.com/lexjet/compatibility.asp ?

The solution I came up with on the .NET version is to have our search
fields run server side through a click event. Since the nature of the
Google Mini is method="GET" or most search engines, I had a button click
event to grab the textBox1.text value and build the querystring, quickly
followed by a redirect page command. It solved the equation and allowed,
what looked like, two forms on one page. The form was the entire page.
The textbox and submit (type="button") button where independent to the
functionality to the real heart of the main form.

Rob Smith
LexJet
rob.smith at lexjet.com
http://www.lexjet.com