[thelist] CF: Cloaking directories for file downloads?

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Fri Jul 21 12:32:53 CDT 2006

I saw that a sofware vendor had used a scheme like this in order for the
user to download a file, but that the URL was good for only one time

http://www.domain.com/RaNdOmNuMbEr/filename.exe

I'm currently implementing a PayPal/file download solution, and I'd like to
be able to do something like this. Other than creating a new directory,
copying the file over, downloading it then deleting the file, then
directory per transaction, can someone suggest how I might do this?

The idea is to have be able to hide the true location of a file so that the
user doesn't start distributing the URL among all of their friends. It's
just a simple security measure.

Suggestions, anyone?

Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.