[thelist] Counting downloads via hyperlink

Chris Dempsey evolt at cubeit.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 11:41:29 CDT 2006

If you can code with PHP you could point the Download PDF link to a page
page which will record the click before showing the link to the file.  You
can record the click either in a database or a text file using the file
system [not sure what the PHP equivalent is but in Classic ASP it's called
the FileSystem Object].

eg.

- User browses page with PDF links
- User Clicks Link to get PDF they want
- Link points to counter page and passes unique file ID
- counter page updates download count for requested file then displays the
real link to the file

Not very gracefully put but think you'll get the idea.

Chris.