[thelist] FAQ/resources for oft-asked questions

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 14:53:58 CDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Max Schwanekamp <lists at neptunewebworks.com> wrote:
> > From: Dean Mah
> > Sorry for being a tease.  I had to run.  I was just happy that
> > progress was being made and had to brag^h^h^h^htell someone about it.
> > :)
> >
> > You are correct that you only need id when changing the question
> > and/or answer.  You can change both question and answer or just one.
> > The version attribute isn't really required and is currently
> > discarded.  New FAQs will be assigned an ID automatically and if you
> > specify one for a new FAQ, it will likely be ignored.  Like tips, the
> > author attribute can be supplied or it will grab it from the e-mail
> > headers.  There's no need to maintain the original author, unless you
> > are submitting an FAQ for them, as all author information will be kept
> > as part of the history.
>
> Nice!  Any ideas for categorizing the FAQs?  Maybe allow faq items to have
> child faqs, wiki-style?  Or allow arbitrary categories, e.g. <faq
> category="My New Category" author="Me">...</faq> where using an ID for
> existing FAQ item would move it to a new category...?

Argh!  I forgot about that.  There's an optional tags attribute.  The
value should be a comma-separated list of tags that you FAQ belongs
to.  Currently, the submitted tags overwrite any other existing tags.
So if you want to edit a FAQ but keep the same tags, you need to
repeat the tags in the updated FAQ otherwise they get deleted.

Dean