[thelist] MySQLFront Alternative for Database GUI

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jul 27 00:51:17 CDT 2006

Hi jono,

jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com wrote:
> I've been trying MySQLFront for the past few weeks and now have run
> out of time on the DEMO.  I went over the MySQLFront site to purchase
> a license and noticed that the name had changed to SQLFront, and that
> the original development team has left the project.  Before I
> purchase a license, I though I'd check with [theList] to see if any
> had a better suggestion. [...] I'd really like a Mac/PC compatible
> solution so I can work from home and in the office (I use a Mac at
> home)

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that MySQL themselves are now
shipping Windows *and* OS X (PPC and Intel) GUI tools:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

I used MySQL front for years (its last freeware version, 2.6 which I can
legally share with you if you'd like) and toyed with Navicat for a
while, but I've been using the MySQL Query Browser for a while and
(unlike some older attempts by MySQL at making GUI tools) they've
finally gotten it right!  the price of course is quite right, too :-)

I didn't even notice that they'd added a MySQL Administrator GUI tool --
downloading that now... confident that whether I like it or not, it will
never expire!  That crippleware stuff blows.

-dave