[thelist] What platform?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 30 20:25:03 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 22:09 -0500, Todd Richards wrote:
> For the life of me I can't find a bookmark that I had saved.  Isn't there a
> site that will tell me what OS / Platform (IIS, Linux, etc) a website is
> running?

Do realize any tool for this task can be fooled. There at least used to
be an option in Apache (possibly even the original NCSA httpd?) that
would hide the exact operating system a server was running on.

I think time was that netcraft.com mentioned in other replies said that
microsoft.com was hosted on GNU/Linux, when in fact that's just what
Akamai was using and the site itself was hosted on Windows.

--
Shawn K. Quinn