[thelist] Fancy text blending with PHP/GD

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue Aug 1 07:58:45 CDT 2006

>From: "Chris Dorer" <cdorer at gmail.com>
>
> Can I ask why you're intent on using GD?  Have you had the chance to
> consider using image magick?

Simply because I'm not familiar with Image Magick, and GD seemed like
the "default" PHP image processing utility. I'll take a look at it, but
I'm hosted by an ISP, so it looks like it also depends on if they
provide it or are willing to install it for me. Thanks for the pointer!

> From: Micky Hulse <micky at ambiguism.com>
>
> A buddy of mine over on the PHP email list recently showed me an
example
> he put-together of watermarking with PHP:
>
> <http://www.xn--ovg.com/watermark/>

Thanks for the reference, but I don't know if I'd call that a
"watermark", it's really just plain text on the image. That's pretty
easy with GD. What I want, as shown by my original example [1], is
semi-transparent text where the background still shines through to some
extant.

I emailed Tom Boutell, the author of GD, yesterday, and he confirmed
that GD operates at a lower level than these effects. However, he also
said it could using the library from C, except I'm sure I don't have the
expertise with fonts and low-level graphics to know how to go about it,
and I'm not sure I can invest the time to learn. Unless anyone here
would like a challenge...  ;-)

Thanks for the responses!

- John

[1] http://www.mainebrook.com/art/picture.php?imageID=45&page=1

--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.