[thelist] ASP.NET Adding a linkbutton programmatically

Chris Marsh thelist at cjmarsh.com
Mon Aug 7 16:36:16 CDT 2006

Casey

The following is how I would go about this in C#. It's totally untested as I
don't have VS handy, but it illustrates the use of the Command event rather
than the Click event. The Command event allows you to specify a name for the
command, and an argument which you can then access from your event handler.
I've included a sample event handler below (AlphaCommand).

----------------------------------

for (int i = 65, i <= 90; ++i)
{
    LinkButton lb = new LinkButton();
    lb.Text = "&#" + i + "; ";
    lb.CommandName = "alpha";
    lb.CommandArgument = i;
    lb.Command += new CommandEventHandler(AlphaCommand);
    plhAlpha.Controls.Add(lb);
}
----------------------------------

private void AlphaCommand(object sender, CommandEventArgs e)
{
    Response.Output.Write("Command {0} has argument {1}.", e.CommandName,
e.CommandArgument);
}

You may find the following links useful, they include samples in VB .NET:

<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.commande
venthandler.aspx>
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.linkbutt
on.command.aspx>