[thelist] IE 3px text jog in a form

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Wed Aug 9 14:29:24 CDT 2006

I'm trying to figure out if the problem I'm having in this form is the
"IE three pixel text jog" bug:
http://tinyurl.com/ryuel

If you look at it in Firefox, the fields and the note (below "email")
are lined up correctly, along the orange line (which is there for
illustrative purposes). However in IE, the fields next to labels are
getting pushed to the right 3 pixels, causing them to line up with the
pink line.

This *appears* to be the 3px text jog bug, but the usual fixes aren't
making any difference. Also, based on the copious reading I've done
while trying to fix this, (a) this bug shouldn't apply to form inputs,
and (b) this bug shouldn't apply to elements with a specified width
(which the form inputs all have).

I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?

For background: this form is a template I'm creating for myself for
building CSS-based (table-less) forms.

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer