[thelist] non-English web building

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:31:34 CDT 2006

> > Usually, I put this at the top of my websites:

> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> >

> > I have never built a site in a non-English character set.
> > What do I need to know/do differently?
> > (knowledge or linkage appreciated)
>
> I built this part of this site in Hebrew:

Splendid, so the options are English or Hebrew? :-)
Let's now get an email for every language and encoding out there.

There are some good Internationalization (i18n) resources out there:

http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/QH/WP5/WD-int-primer-20020901.html
http://www.w3.org/International/Activity.html
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/

Bear in mind though that going UTF-8 and the right HTML is only one
small part of i18n, there are also a lot of cultural differences likes
and usage patterns to think about.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com