[thelist] where should form inputs go for valid xhtml?

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Thu Aug 10 13:40:46 CDT 2006

I just ran a form I'm working on through the W3C Markup Validator and
I'm seeing this error for most of my <input> tags:
  document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "p",
  "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "div", "pre", "address",
  "fieldset", "ins", "del" start-tag

I really don't want to add a bunch of useless markup to my form simply
for the sake of validation - but I want validation! :) I was thinking of
enclosing the whole thing in an unstyled fieldset, since that would only
mean adding one extra tag, but it still doesn't feel quite right to add
a fieldset where I don't actually need one.

Any ideas?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer