[thelist] site design credit / photography permission

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 12 16:19:57 CDT 2006

On 12/08/06, Bob Meetin <ontheroad at frii.com> wrote:

Both tricky questions to answer, Bob.

A1) It depends what you mean by design, design of the finished result
or design of the implementation?  Copyright law prevents people making
adaptations of intellectual property.  I would say you should still
credit the original designer in some way unless you now have a website
that looks completely different from the original.  This doesn't mean
you can't acknowledge any under-the-hood changes in some way, but be
sure to make a distinction.

A2) The answer to this would differ from country to country.  In the
UK the copyright owner of a photograph is the taker, the subject's
right to privacy is a grey area in legal terms, and therefore often
expensive in the event of dispute.  So businesses tend to cover
themselves.  I would recommend verbal consent more from a good
customer relations viewpoint, it would be a shame to make a customer
unhappy when it could so easily be avoided.

--
LK