[thelist] [OT] laptop freezing up

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Sun Aug 13 18:35:28 CDT 2006

Hi all,

May be an OT post, so replies offlist unless you think it will benefit everyone (in which case, maybe post it as a tip?).

I've a loaned laptop (3 months old) running XP home, 512Mb RAM yada, yada, yada which freezes up shortly after logging in. The 'freeze' happens roughly every second boot and doesn't seem to be related to any particular program, as it's happened even when no application is running. It's also happened when running openoffice, acrobat reader and even just windows file explorer.

There's very little 'extra' software on there that could feasibly be causing the problem.

It's under warranty, so we can get it replaced but this may take weeks, and I'm stuck with this thing as-is, as the person I'm contracting to is overseas for the next 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get this thing running better, or does it sound like a HW problem?

Thanks,
Paul (tip follows)

<tip type="Web Development Magazine">

Free issues of 'Treehouse magazine':
http://treehousemagazine.com/freestuff/

High-quality web development interviews and coding articles

</tip>