[thelist] Rich Internet Applications

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Mon Aug 14 08:54:51 CDT 2006

Regarding a new build of an internet business application, one issue we
are dealing with is maintaining real-time data for our web consoles. To
clarify, the users of the app are looking at data in their browser, and
that data is subject to change. I want of course that when the data on
the server changes, the browser is updated in real time.

There are several methods to achieve this. One is to constantly poll the
server for changes using AJAX. One is to use a hidden Java applet which
establishes a persistent connection to the server. This applet can then
receive data updates in real time without polling the server.

Beyond those, there is a whole new world of RIA tools using Flash as a
base to create desktop-like applications. Two of which I am aware are:

Adobe Flex: http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/

OpenLazlo: http://www.openlaszlo.org/ (from Laszlo Systems:
http://www.laszlosystems.com/ )

I had examined Flex a half a year ago or so and it didn't seem
production-ready at that point. The reviews I am seeing now, however,
are generally positive and indicate that it may be ready.

There was also a video I saw 6 months ago which showed a demonstration
using Flex whereby a Flex app (a web page, that is) and Microsoft Excel
(open on someone's desktop) were both bound to the same data source and
updates to either app were reflected (the data was updated accordingly)
in the other app in real time (a small communications delay not
withstanding). That video appears no longer to be available, but a
discussion of this technology appears to be here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/intro_fms.html

This is the type of real-time data updating I need and it would appear
that Flex has the advantage of a rich set of application-building
features. The app I am building is for internal use only, so requiring
specific technology like Flash 9 is no problem.

Anyhow as I begin to investigate this technologies further, are there
any comments anyone has to share regarding these tools? Any experience
or reviews or anything else that might prove helpful?

Thanks,
Hershel

--
Web Site Construction by Gallery Robinson
http://galleryrobinson.com/