[thelist] Rich Internet Applications

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Mon Aug 14 14:55:58 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Hershel Robinson <hershel at galleryrobinson.com> wrote:
>> This is the type of real-time data updating I need and it would appear
>> that Flex has the advantage of a rich set of application-building
>> features. The app I am building is for internal use only, so requiring
>> specific technology like Flash 9 is no problem.
>
> May I ask why you are using a web-based solution, then? You want a
> fat-client solution, and you can control the client environment.
> What's the point of using the browser?

1 Our presumption is that using the browser will reduce overall build time.

2 This is not actually an intranet site, it is an internet site. It
merely has a limited set of users. They could be required to install a
client but I prefer to limit the technical requirements placed upon them
as they are generally non-technical personell.

3 The interface in question is for internal use, but there is also an
integrated interface for public use. That public interface will not use
Flex, it will use HTML/CSS, but the two interfaces are anyhow closely
related, sharing data and other resources.

Hershel

--
Web Site Construction by Gallery Robinson
http://galleryrobinson.com/