[thelist] Rich Internet Applications

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Mon Aug 14 13:54:19 CDT 2006

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> ... are there
> any comments anyone has to share regarding these tools? Any experience
> or reviews or anything else that might prove helpful?

The Flex world is really hopping... lots of activity... you can track
news, commentary, innovation here:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna/index.cfm?searchterms=flex&query=bySimpleSearch&searchsortby=date

For conversation, the Flexcoders mailing list on Yahoo is the main spot,
and has been averaging over a hundred messages a day (!) since Flex 2.0
arrived at the end of June:

I'm not sure whether Spry might also help with your work... this
JavaScript library offers easy interactivity within webpages which
display XML-formatted data. It doesn't deal with changing data, however;
you just pump in an XML file at the start and Spry helps the audience
manipulate this data:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

> There was also a video I saw 6 months ago which showed a demonstration
> using Flex whereby a Flex app (a web page, that is) and Microsoft Excel
> (open on someone's desktop) were both bound to the same data source and
> updates to either app were reflected (the data was updated accordingly)
> in the other app in real time (a small communications delay not
> withstanding).

Clientside polling is one way to achieve refreshes. The serverside Flex
Data Services allow for push and synchronization among varied clients.
(Flex creation is free; an optional Eclipse plugin for development is
US$500; the optional Flex Data Services pricetag varies with server
configuration.) If your external data is exposed as a regular web
service then things are much easier than with ad-hoc publishing styles.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd