[thelist] MS SQL Using 'FormsOf(INFLECTIONAL, ) in a full-text search

Casey Crookston caseyc at IntelliSoftmn.com
Mon Aug 14 17:43:20 CDT 2006

> FREETEXTTABLE(listings, *, 'FormsOf(INFLECTIONAL, @search)')

Yea, I spotted that too.  Didn't solve the problem.

>(not that I have a clue about "FREETEXTTABLE" or "FormsOf")

I'm using MS SQL's fuzzy-search capabilities.  If a user searches for
'accountant' it will return any results matching accountant, accounting,
or any variation of the word.  It will also pick out the word from a
long string as well. (kind of like %accountant% but more powerful.

Example: using a full-text search with INFLECTIONAL, if a user searches
for "tax accountant" it will return a positive result from this string:

"We specialize in all of your accounting and tax needs."

You need to make a full-text search catalog of the table you want to
search before this will work.

This is all new to me - just been reading up on it the last few days or
so.  Every example I have in my books and I can find on Google show
examples that are hard wired in:

FREETEXTTABLE(listings, *, 'FormsOf(INFLECTIONAL, accountant)')

This is the one exception I have found:

It seems I have followed their advice exactly, but still no results.  It
MUST be possible to search with a parameter and not a hard-wired value.
I just can't seem to pin it down.

Ug.

Casey