[thelist] input type="image" vs. input type="button"

jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Thu Aug 24 10:20:54 CDT 2006

I need a new approach to a select menu for web site navigation that uses
an image (input type="image") instead of a "go" or "submit" button (input
type="button").

Is it not reasonably possible to use a nice looking image instead of a
'submit' or 'go' button?  I've sorted through a lot of websites, and not
too many focus on using images as submit buttons for a select menu that
navigates a site.

The select menu is supplementary to the main site navigation - an
additional option for users who prefer the quick menu approach.

To recap, here is what I currently have in place:

<form name="quickform">
	<label for="quickpicks">Select a topic:</label>
	<select name="quickpicks">
		<option value="selected">Tell me more about...</option>
		<option value="product1.php">Product One</option>
		<option value="product2.php">Product Two</option>
		<option value="product3.php">Product Three</option>
		<option value="product4.php">Product Four</option>
		<option value="product5.php">Product Five</option>
	</select>
	<input type="button"
onClick="location=document.quickform.quickpicks.options[document.quickform.quickpicks.selectedIndex].value;"
value="GO" />
</form>

This works just fine, but relies on JavaScript and does not use an image
for the button - two things I want to change.  I am open to anything, but
prefer accessible, non-JavaScript dependant, and a PHP solution if
possible.  Eventually the menu will get its <option>s from a database -
PHP/MySQL - but I am still in the process of becoming a Programmer.

Thanks,

--
Jono