[thelist] input type="image" vs. input type="button"

jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Thu Aug 24 15:33:22 CDT 2006

> It seems to me you are trying to solve a problem that won't exist ...
>once your link looks like this...
>
> http://example.com/product.php?productid=1
>
> ... Your html ends up like this:
>
> <form name="quickform" action="product.php" method="GET">
> 	<label for="quickpicks">Select a topic:</label>
> 	<select id="quickpicks" name="productid">
> 		<option value="selected">Tell me more about...</option>
> 		<option value="1">Product One</option>
> 		<option value="2">Product Two</option>
> 		<option value="3">Product Three</option>
> 		<option value="4">Product Four</option>
> 		<option value="5">Product Five</option>
> 	</select>
> 	<input type="image" src="..." alt="GO">
> </form>
>
> This solution uses no javascript, allows the graphic on the submit
> button, and puts the product id into a php variable for your database
> logic: $_GET['productid'].

Yes, you are correct, that would do the trick; the trouble is I have not
set up the database yet - that's the part I am still learning, which can
take quite a long time to do.

I am a seasoned illustrator, designer, and developer, but entirely new to
database design/set up.  The way things are going these days, it’s nearly
required that one knows how to program in addition to the other skills I
have.   I am (currently) on my own for the most part, and steadily trying
to learn PHP & MySQL.

As stubborn as it sounds, I just don’t have time to learn how to set up
and maintain a database before this needs to get finished.  It’s kind of
like “not being able to afford insurance.”  Really, I can’t afford not to;
I just need more time – which I currently do not have
at all.

Perhaps I should settle (reluctantly) on using a boring submit button (and
JavaScript) and scrap the nice image idea until I have until the db ready.

Thanks for your suggestion - it does seem nice and easy!

--
Jono