[thelist] Test Suite

Steven Pierce steven.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 00:10:19 CDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I currently test our site in Firefox (latest version), IE6, IE7, and Opera
> 9. I've used Netscape 8 lately, but seeing as it uses the Firefox and IE6
> rendering engines, it seems kind of redundant.
>
> We also have a test pc using windows 98 with IE 5.

I would see about upgrading to at least Windows XP

Therefore, I have 3 questions:
> 1. What would theListers recommend in addition to these browsers? I'm a
> little uncomfortable just using the latest browsers on the latest Windows OS
> (and one old IE browser) and thinking that the site 'must work for
> everyone'.
>
> Unfortunately our testing would have to be internal (eg no 'site check
> please'), as my boss would can me if she found out I was letting coders the
> world over poke around in the site before things were officially 'live'.

Than it is kind of hard to tell you much about the site, but I uderstand
this concept.  I think that you might want to try Mac OS X Safari also.

2. We do have an apps machine running virtual PC, which I've installed
> Novell Linux 9 on, but I can't get the network settings to work correctly
> yet. Any hints?

What problems are you having??  Does your network admin have the machines
locked down so that only specific machines can get out?  Can you ping
anything on the internal network? Can you ping 127.0.0.0 and get a reply??

3. Excuse my ignorance of things Mac, but if we get an intel copy of OSX,
> can it be installed using virtual pc?

No, you can not install it on a PC machine.  All OSX had been intel based
since 10.0.  It will not install on a PC.  You need mac hardware to get it
to install.  I have tried to do this, and it does not work.  Now if anyone
else has done it, I am very, very interested on what you did.

Steven