[thelist] IIS mod_rewrite

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 15:38:25 CDT 2006

Lists (excuse the double-post on both eVolt and WDL in case you're
subscribed to both),

I'm a PHP programmer used to Apache and .htaccess files. At the moment,
I'm working on a website that's hosted on a *shared* Windows server
running IIS 6.0, and I need (read "would really like to have")
mod_rewrite functionality.

I've Googled around a bit, and most solutions suggest either installing
an ISAPI filter, or switching to a hosting plan that uses Apache.

Given that it's a shared server, and I only have FTP access, I don't
have the proper rights to install an ISAPI-filter, and anyway, the
hosting provider has indicated they won't install IIRF, IISrewrite or
similar cohorts because they are reported to be unstable.

Apache or Linux is not a good plan, as I'll be implementing a classic
ASP back-end which was developed somewhere else. I know it's possible to
use classic ASP on Apache/WIN with a little bit of fiddling, but the
hosts I found supporting this use dedicated servers, which costs more
than my client is willing to pay.

Does anybody here have any information countering what I found so far?

Thanks in advance,

Rick.