[thelist] font inconsistencies in different image apps

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Mon Sep 25 18:23:33 CDT 2006

This is not a hot problem know, but more of a standards/expectations
question.

I had to download a couple fonts, Harrington and Brush Script, for a
site.  When I use them in either Photoshop or GIMP, they are similar.
This is fine. Neither have a bold weight option.  Harrington was
naturally frail, and Brush Script slightly heavy.

The client I was doing the job for was getting a really different look
with the fonts, but using different apps.  He might have been playing
with microsoft paint and i believe corel paint shop pro.  The images he
sent me with Harrington were on the bold side and brush script on the
slim side.

Just to see for myself, I downloaded the trial version of PSP - and it
certainly has different options for font weight.  (stroke width).

Q1: Which is the accepted (industry standard) application to use for text?
Q2: How do you handle a problem like this?  Do you owe it to the client
to be able to deliver a specification even if he/she is using a tool
that might not be using a generally accepted tool?  Like I say, with the
trial version of PSP I am over the hump.
Q3: Is there something (not obvious) in either GIMP or PhotoShop that my
bleary eyes might have repeatedly missed?

-Bob