[thelist] Mark of the Web

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 12:17:23 CDT 2006

Hi:

In Dreamweaver, there is a function called Mark of the Web. Its purpose is
to insert a comment tag at the top of the page to suggest that the page was
downloaded from the Internet (<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->).
When designing pages that require an Active-X function, such as a page with
a flash object, IE6 will not allow you to run them locally unless you either
(1) click the popup bar in IE to allow the scripting to run or (2) insert
this Mark of the Web into the page.

If I left this Mark of the Web in the page and uploaded the page to my web
site, might this pose a security issue for another user? Although there is
an "Insert Mark of the Web", there is no "Remove Mark of the Web" so I am
assuming that there is no security issue associated with this.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks,

Jules

--