[thelist] Help a journalist (again): best/worst interview questions?

Esther Schindler esther at bitranch.com
Wed Oct 4 15:55:28 CDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) wrote:
> "Those might have been relevant...
> except that it immediately became obvious that the developer/
> interviewer was asking Bill to debug the code he was working on right
> at that moment. I don't think it's part of an interview to do the
> other person's job."
>
>    Obviously I don't have all the info, but what's to say this
> wasn't his way of doing a "test run" with the candidate on an
> actual problem that came up in the office?

I understand what you're saying... but sometimes you can tell the
difference.

I suppose it's a matter of intent; is this person asking this to
learn how I solve problems? to find out whether I'm up to speed with
the technology? or is he looking for the technical answer that'll let
him go home for the day -- with no judgement on "does this candidate
know his stuff"?

 From what I was told, in this case it was obvious that it was the
last choice. <smile>