[thelist] building new box, hardware concerns

Struan Donald struan at exo.org.uk
Thu Oct 12 10:40:14 CDT 2006

* at 10/10 14:23 -0500 dwain.alford at gmail.com said:
> i'm going to build a new box and use linux as the os (ubuntu or fedora
> core 5).  i understand that different distros don't support certain
> hardware.  what advise or references to hardware for the different
> distros can you offer this first-time builder and linux user?

No real specific advice other than shy away from bleeding edge
hardware and anything obscure and you are usually fine.

Things that are most likely to be a pain are wireless cards and
graphics/sound cards so spend a bit of time checking that they are
supported.

On the whole though linux hardware support is pretty good these days
and it's been a while since I've not been able to get something to
work.

cheers

Struan