[thelist] Many or More?

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Thu Oct 12 14:21:44 CDT 2006

Julian Rickards wrote:
> Hi:
>
> My editor has questioned a phrase I am using in my current book.
>
> My statement is "most web pages created since the mid-1990's use tables for
> layout" and she wonders if I should have written "many" instead of "most".
>
> I don't think there is a way to quantify this statement (easily, that is) so
> I am asking you, would you agree with "most" or "many"?
>
> Jules

As a former editor myself, I would incline towards "many". While it may
be the opinion of many (most?) knowledgeable developers that "most pages
created since the mid-1990's use tables for layout", this would be, as
you say, hard to quantify. You don't have that difficulty with "many",
which doesn't convey the sense of majority that "most" does.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario