[thelist] PDF templating for ASP.NET

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Thu Oct 12 17:10:19 CDT 2006

I've successfully used XF Rendering Server on a dotNet project last year.

http://www.ecrion.com/Products/XFRenderingServer/Overview.aspx

We converted the PDF "Forms" to a XSL Style Sheet, formatted the data as XML and transformed the two into a final XML-FO document that we then fed into the XF Rendering Server.

We were collecting data from HTML forms, dropping that into a Database - then at a later date extracting the DB data as XML. This process was very straight forward and building the PDF Forms as XML-FO, then adding the XSL markup for merging the XML Data from the DB was not as time consuming as we first feared.

XF Rendering Server came with developement tools that assisted us in creating the XML-FO output framework, then I just hand tweaked the templates from there. We felt the cost was reasonable and their tech support was helpful when we ran into a few minor issues.