[thelist] IIS mod_rewrite

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:42:29 CDT 2006

Just noticed I never followed up on this thread (original last post on sep.
23rd)... Thanks to Anthony and Ken for your solutions.

In the end, I switched hosts to a party that supported ISAPI_Rewrite (and
offered a nice little web-based interface for it as well). As it turned out,
the server was entirely misconfigured, and the hosting party was planning a
full reinstall of that particular machine.

I first tried the 404 redirect-trick, as suggested by Anthony[1].
Unfortunately, as I said, the server was misconfigured, and instead of
redirecting to the actual 404 page, the 404 was offered as a download in
Firefox (IE worked, though), probably a mime type setting gone bad. Beside
that, you were never redirected to the 404 page if you typed a non-existent
PHP file, because you'd get PHP include errors.

I then tried Ken's idea of using a custom ASP.NET HTTPHandler[2]. I even got
it to work, up until the host reinstalled the server and messed up their
.NET support.

Oh well, I've never had any complaints with the Linux servers used by this
host, but I don't think I'll ever make use of their Windows-hosting again.
The only good thing about this was that the site in question was brand
spanking new and nobody knew of it yet, so nobody noticed when things went
awry.

Thanks again, Anthony and Ken, for your assistance.

Rick.

[1] http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20060918/185228.html
[2] http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20060918/185231.html