[thelist] What makes a good web site?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 08:19:11 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Hershel Robinson <hershel at galleryrobinson.com> wrote:
> I don't think so. I do the same thing myself, but the laypeople I know I
> do NOT think would do that.

It will be interesting to see. I agree that this is the case now, but
it's hard to tell whether that is because the feature is too complex
for the average web user or because the feature does not exist in the
average web user's browser so she is not familiar with it.

> Even were they to think of it, it very
> easily can be complicated. I have observed recently two laypeople who
> were not aware (in the least apparently) that the average web form can
> be submitted via the Enter key--the use the mouse instead.

I personally think this is because this feature of forms has a
horrible design and should be removed.

> If people are not aware of such simple time-saving features common to
> all browsers, I do not expect them to start using advanced features
> anytime soon.

I think it will depend on how "in front of your face" IE makes the
feature. Firefox2, for example, opens new-window links in tabs by
default.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA