[thelist] look and feel compromises

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Oct 23 12:55:55 CDT 2006

> for those of you who create the look and feel of websites and
> write the code as well, how often and to what degree do you
> find yourself compromising the look you wanted because of
> coding issues?

What do you mean by coding issues?  Do you mean getting frontend HTML/CSS
playing nicely with backend scripting?  Or do you mean dealing with HTML and
CSS?  Or...?

> .... I'm in a state of flux right now, and keep envisioning
> designs I can't create without tables and goofy things I'd
> prefer not to do on my own sites.

I had a similar state a few years ago, and my solution was simple, if maybe
a bit drastic: I was a WYWIWYG editor addict, and utterly incompetent in
CSS.  So, I took 3 weeks off, no work at all, and put myself through a
self-imposed crash course in CSS, using a text-based editor.  I prepared
beforehand by ordering the necessary books (e.g. Eric Meyer's two "On CSS"
books which were the best at the time) and trying out some editors (I
settled on TopStyle).  In teaching and academic professions, I believe this
is called a sabbatical -- a time to devote to "taking in" rather than
"putting out".  Incidentally, that's also when I joined thelist...

If you don't know how to build something without resorting to what you know
are outdated techniques, it's a sure sign you need to update your knowledge.

--
Max Schwanekamp
NeptuneWebworks.com