[thelist] .NET 1.1 and 2.0 on the same server?

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Thu Oct 26 11:26:30 CDT 2006

		   Yes, once you install 2.0 you will have an extra ASP.NET tab in the Properties menu of each website (as viewed through the IIS MMC).  You can flip that back and forth between frameworks, and if you create sub-applications under a site, those can use either version as well.

   As for pitfalls... I guess you could google for "asp.net 2.0 sucks" or something more professional, but if you're testing on a development server, you can always switch back to 1.1 if you find something terrible (which you shouldn't).

   The only major problem I've found is actually going from 1.0 to 1.1 or 2.0, and involves the whole messy "page validation" scheme.  If you're already coding for 1.1, you shouldn't have anything blow up on you.

   Oh, and be sure to write back when something blows up :-D

Cheers,

Peter

				From: "Casey Crookston" caseyc at IntelliSoftmn.com

At work here we're talking about migrating from 1.1 to 2.0, and we would
install 2.0 on the development server first and then test all of our
apps and sites. As I understand, it IS possible to have both running on
the same server at the same time. Then , in IIS, you can specify with
each site which version of .NET it will use. Is this correct? Before
I go out and download 2.0 and install, are there any potential pitfalls
or land mines I of which I should be aware?

Thanks,

Casey