[thelist] Address entry

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Oct 26 11:42:03 CDT 2006

I updated a site for a client and one part of that is a form where
people enter their billing address.  This data is important as bills
are sent by mail.  The previous form was a free-form entry and as such
the old data had a large number of data entry errors and
inconsistencies.

So, after discussion with the client, and the client insisting that
only US addresses would need to be entered, I used a drop down list
for state and I have an AJAX request on the zip code that will lookup
the city and state based on the zip code.

Of course, now they have a user with a Canadian address.

It's still very rare to have a non-US address -- 1 in 30,000 at this
point ;)

So, I'm looking for examples of forms where I can still use the
stronger validation on US zip codes, but also provide a way to allow
non-US users to enter an address.

Suggestions?

--
Bill Moseley