[thelist] Apache Request handling

A Maynes andrew at milords.com
Fri Oct 27 03:19:04 CDT 2006

Many moons ago I was interested if not obsessed with requests handled by
Apache where users would be redirected to specific pages within a domain
based on their location (detecting this was a problem!  Is it still the
same?  Is detecting world location still thwart with problems (routing).
I realised this was not very economical with my time as there wouldn't
be a useful need for this type of behaviour, demand low!

Even sites that have resolution detection code are pretty futile as the
'control' issue pops up and no one likes to loose their freedom.  How
does this website know where I am!

The reason for my return to this interest I am paying more interest of
recent to the user statistics.  There are (probably bots and attacks)
coming in from all parst of the world and I ideally would like to put
some form of control in place.

Any suggestions please?

IP ranges?  Is there a global map of IP DNS ranges?

Thanks
Andrew