[thelist] FlickrDrillr encoding issue

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 04:43:09 CST 2006

Hi Chris,

http://icant.co.uk/sandbox/flickrdrillr/

A good idea to waste time :)

The problem is that some tags like "geotagged" give me back
> non-western characters.

I've experienced the same pains in the read with AJAX and encoding.

The good news is they can be sorted out.
The bad news is that (to my experience) they are resolved by
mostly trial and error (since there are too much variables to control)

The index.html and all is UTF-8 and should display them correctly.
> Alas it doesn't.

I know that feeling ;)

I've written about my experiences in my blog

[1] "AJAX and Charset Conversion"
http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2006/03/ajax-and-charset-conversion.html

[2] "More on Encoding and AJAX"
http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2006/05/more-on-encoding-and-ajax.html

[3] "Use EncodeURIComponent Whenever Possible"
http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2006/05/use-encodeuricomponent-when-possible.html

I'm sure you have tried most of the above.
Hope it gives some pointers through the right direction anyway.

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/