[thelist] Managing your code snippets....

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Tue Nov 7 09:36:05 CST 2006

Chris Ditty ink wired:

> I was wondering how everyone manages their snippets.

I use the low-tech method of simply storing code snippets (as well as
other useful information) into hierarchical folders on my hard drive.
When I need to go to a customer site, I can simply burn them to a DVD or
to a 2GB memory chip (HP laptops and PCs have slots for chips -- and I
use an adapter for my Dell).  For example, my upper level hierarchy
includes:

CSS
Database
dotNET
Enterprise Architecture
Golf
JavaScripts
LDAP
Programming
Security
SharePoint
The Server Side
Visual Studio
Web Development
Windows Server
XML

Each directory has up to eight levels of sub-folders, broken down by
category.  For instance, the Database folder includes:

articles
encryption
functions
PivotTable
scripts
SQL Server 2005
Stand Alone SQL
stored procedures
tips
tools
triggers
udf
Utilities
Vbscript

And under each of those folders, sub-folders containing the actual
nuggets.  You get the idea.  But isn't searching that a pain?  Not if
you use a tool like Google Desktop.

Granted, that is a lazy way to store snippets -- but it works for the
moment.  I do like the idea of a Wiki, which is superior if you want to
share your code with your team.

Hope that helps.

--
Dwacon