[thelist] Tips/Tricks/Tidbits... what do you add?

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 10:01:32 CST 2006

On 07/11/06, Micky Hulse <micky at ambiguism.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are a few things I add to my site templates:
>
> <ul id="accessibility">
>         <li><a href="#skipnavigation" title="Go to navigation">Go to
> navigation</a> :</li>
> </ul>

I use similar links but use the actual id of the element:
since my main content is in <div id="content">
I don't use title attributes as they are so badly supported.

>         <h1>Notice:</h1>
> href="http://browsehappy.com/" title="Download a browser that complies
> with Web standards.">web standards</a>, but it is accessible to any
> browser or Internet device.</p>
> When the styles are turned-off, the above things appear, mostly for
> better accessibility.

I can't see how this will actually help with accessibility, if
anything it will be an annoyance for a screen-reader user. Using <h1>
in this way is also a waste of the most important element on the page.
Im all for webstandards, but clients and especially end-users do not
need this message, If you'd like to promote it its better on an 'about
this site' page that is visible to every user.

ben