[thelist] Captcha??

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 07:18:42 CST 2006

On 11/9/06, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK <volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use a non-image alternative: Like a randomly generated 5-choice
> questionare.
> The questionare should be dead simple for humans but hard to translate for a
> spambot.
> something like:
>
> "
> to proceed please answer the following question:
> (a brief explanation why this question is a plus:
> there are bots imitating humans and this dumb questionaire helps get rid of
> them etc. etc.)
>
> Where do people store books?
> - grocery store
> - shelf
> - refrigerator
> - all of the above
> - none of the above
> "

This is an interesting example, but I don't think it would fly on any
site that is required to be accessible. This would keep people with
cognitive impairments (or, depending on the question, people from
different cultures) from using your site, when they would otherwise be
able to. Just something to keep in mind, since one of the main
drawbacks of captcha is the accessibility challenge.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA